Tuesday, October 4, 2016

September Lessons



September is my work “birthday,” so to speak.  In September of 2002 I took the job that would alter the course of my life.  Now there are many advantages to my job and I am grateful to have it.  Yet I have often noted that gratitude is a far cry from love.  My gratitude to the job I have held for 14 years now was not helping my attitude which gradually and ever increasingly began to plummet further and further into darkness.

I was sporting full blown depression when I encountered a clever Forbes Magazine Article that changed by life.  My co-workers noticed an immediate change in me, "I am impressed by this new attitude of yours!  It's infectious!" 

I'm laughing more, definitely smiling, and my stress level is the lowest it's ever been.  What is my secret?  What was the life changing article?  Ten Advantages to Hating Your Job” by Liz Ryan - This article helped me realize that I hate my job, and that is a good thing! 

The reality I have to face in my workplace is that I have to work with some seriously unhappy people.  I’m not referring to those to whom I give service, I can appreciate why they sometimes might be unhappy.  No, the people who really lowered my spirits were my co-workers.  Two workplace bullies in particular who I believe attempt to pleasure themselves by making as many other people as miserable as themselves.  Their antics were demoralizing until this article released me from their tyranny.  Their vile little comments and direct antagonism mean nothing to me now.  They can complain all they want about my behavior.  They can even threaten to go to the supervisor.  But they cannot threaten me with a reprimand in the company file if I have no emotional investment in the company.

Before the realization that I hated my job, a supervisor stopping by would have sent me into a fit of anxiety.  “They think I need a babysitter!  They must think I'm not doing enough!"  Now I refuse to compare my work ethic to anyone else.  I give as much as I am able, that is enough.  The supervisor now gets a true smile and a "thank you for your help."  

And oddly, acknowledging that I hate my job has enabled me to provide better service.  Now, I can give someone my full attention.  "I have all day," I say with a smile.  The next assignment is no longer a source of stress.  I'm in the moment with the person directly in front of me.

However, in accepting that I hate my job, I had to acknowledge the reason why.  I really have learned all I'm ever going to learn at my current job.  It's not about changing locations, it's the actual job.  I have gone as far as I can go.  So now, the quest becomes where do I go from here?  But instead of wasting my energy blaming my job for wasting my time, the responsibility is now on me to seek the answer to that question.

What am I here to do?  That is a huge question.  One Deepak Chopra pressed me to look at in the article “How to Find the Purpose of Your Life.”  I found the idea of making the answer to that question viable every day of my life downright daunting.

I have come to understand that I'm one of those people determined to do what I think others want me to do.  I'm aware that is an impossible task and yet I am still determined to do it anyway.  My martyrdom though is avoiding the question:  what am I here to do?  If I'm busy guessing at what everyone else wants, then I have effectively deflected the question of my own destiny.

Not only am I deflecting my destiny, I’m deflecting people too.  My need to guess at everyone’s intentions gives me quite the excuse to avoid people altogether.  My friends do a remarkable job accommodating me when I routinely bow out of get-togethers.  KJ Dell’Antonia made me think hard about this practice of mine and made me think about my contribution to my relationships in the article “Am I Introverted, or Just Rude? 

I am finally beginning to understand that if my schedule is full I do not have to overwhelm myself to be of service to others.  I also have the right to say no, just because I want to.  If I begrudgingly do something that I don't want to, I'm not doing anybody any service.  There is a difference however between an invitation from my second cousin whose political leanings drive me batty, and the birthday party of my best friend.  If I fail to show up to the birthday for the second year in a row, that is an issue that needs to be addressed.  I can blame my absence on my schedule and my priorities or on my boundaries and introversion but none of those excuses is going to help me foster my relationship to my best friend.  

Relationships are based on sharing - our time, our energy and our selves.  I can't expect to be exempt from reciprocation.  Parties may not be important to me but if they are important to my best friend, her party should make it to the top of my priorities.  If she really is important to me. 

I can show up.  I can talk to my friend's mother.  I can share how we met with her second cousin whose political leanings drive me batty.  I can choose to put aside my annoyance of crowds and my anxiety of being judged and even my need to guess at what someone else wants me to do.  Yes, it is possible that my friend's second cousin will think I'm a lawless godless witch out to destroy humanity as we know it.  And it is more than likely that I will be unable to correctly guess at the right behavior that second cousin wants from me in order to feel comfortable and not as though she is about to be eaten by the lawless and godless witch.  But so what? I'm not important in these circumstances.  It's my best friend's birthday, it's her time to be important.

And after an hour or two I can go to my friend and say to her, "Happy Birthday! I'm so grateful I had the opportunity to be here with you!"  And then it's not just my words that communicate how important my friend is to me, it's my actions.  They are synchronized.  And that intimacy between us has meaning.

I want intimacy with all things.  


I came across this Matt Daniell’s Ted Talk through the article "Are You Just Sleepwalking at Work?" By Bruce Kasanoff. As I watched this video I realized that I was similarly inspired. I want intimacy with all things. I want to have an awareness of the present moment. I want clarity of focus.

Mr. Daniell points out that receiving is important. Receiving is a step of being present. I have to be willing to receive information not just from my environment but from myself as well. I need to know how I'm breathing and what I'm thinking and what I'm feeling. I need to have this awareness to obtain that clarity of focus with the present moment. If I really want intimacy with all things, I have to be willing to sip my tea, and observe and receive in order to stop the internal war within.

I wasn’t sipping tea, it was coffee when I had the epiphany that I hated the job I have been so grateful for these past fourteen years. When I realized that, I had to face the fact that I’ve been so busy doing this job because that was what I thought everyone else wanted me to do. And then I had to face that I had forgotten who I am.

During the depression that I mentioned, I started to read Rhonda Britten’s book Fearless Living. She has this amazing concept that there is an essential nature to every individual. She gives a list, but there was one word on that list that I would not under any circumstance acknowledge. The word was creative.

One of my all-time favorite actresses is Nicole Kidman. I revere her because in her movies, you don’t see her, Nicole Kidman, you see the character. She’s so good, sometimes she’s unrecognizable until the credits role. It is also true that I think she is the most beautiful woman I’ve ever seen. For most of my life I believed that I was ugly. I didn’t exactly want to change my body, but I thought I was nothing special and most certainly plain. Then, when my son was still in diapers, one of his babysitters held up a fashion magazine with Nicole Kidman on the cover and she asked my son, “Who’s this?” He responded quickly and simply, “Mommy.” My babysitter was trying to show me something which I refused to see. The woman I revered for her talent and her beauty - I looked like her.

I can also sing and I can also act, like the woman I so revered. I am creative like Nicole Kidman.

Creative is my essential nature whether I want to acknowledge that or not. I am grateful for my job and yet I cannot grow anymore there because it does not allow me to be creative. In fact, my job rather frowns on creativity.

I didn’t really understand why I was so resistant to what was supposed to be my essential nature until during some research for my previous blog post on Accidental Talismans of the Verbal Kind I came across Brene Brown’s Video on Listening to Shame.


She said that among innovation and change, creativity is born from vulnerability. In order to have intimacy with all things I must first have intimacy with myself. I must let go of guessing at what others want, and first consider what it is that I want. That takes great vulnerability.

Looks like I have a great deal of work to do.

1 comment:

  1. I don't even know where to start. I think you are brilliant and gorgeous and I miss you. I have even been kinda feeling like you likely aren't around anymore because you have better things to do, more creative and important people to spend your time on, and I pretty much told myself that was likely true and I should just accept that. I have a hard time thinking of you feeling unhappy and vulnerable, because you never seem that way to me. I wish we had created more together, cause that was awesome. In any case, I hope you find your strength and happiness.

    ReplyDelete